Sunday, April 21, 2019

Hobby Gaming: Exploring Additional Alternative Vehicles for 40k Armies


While GW makes models that are durable and fit well with their miniatures (and other 28mm/30mm/32mm "heroic scale" minis, they are not inexpensive, and have been trending towards requiring more and more time to assemble.   In the interests of variety and choice, I like to try out different options, and I like to share my findings here on the blog.


Orks:

GW's Orks in 40k  have undergone many stylistic changes, but some of my favorites were those that had a WW2 German/Afrika Korps look to them.    Like many others, I found that these models looked really good when paired up with German WW2 vehicles, specifically halftracks.

One major problem with using non-gaming model kits as gaming models is that they are often fragile, and break easily.    As I have mentioned elsewhere in the blog, I think that a gaming model needs to be durable, and quick and easy to assemble, as well as looking good and matching the scale of the miniatures it is used with.  Bonus points if it is designed in such a way that allows easy conversions.  My "gold standard" for this type of model is the classic (not current) GW Rhino, which was a modular design that had only about a dozen main parts, with a number of other accessories that allowed easy conversions, and was able to be assembled in just a few minutes.

A solution that I am thinking of for this is to use vehicles made as toys - toys for plastic army men.

***Warning:  Due to my work/commute schedule, I have not had time to paint these vehicle models yet.  If you are upset by the sight of unpainted models, stop now, and go to another post.***

Here is a 1/32nd scale Hanomag Sdkfz 251 half track from the Classic Toy Soldiers company.  It is a bit bulkier than 1/35th scale offerings, but the newer Ork sculpts are also bulkier, so it makes for a good fit.

Selling for under $20us, this half-track makes a nice econo-box transport for the Orks.



Mantic makes some nice vehicles for gaming - the ones that I have tried out are durable and fairly quick and easy to assemble.   While I do not like all of their designs, I do find some of them appealing.  I have tried a couple from their Warpath universe, and am sharing the results.   I am using my default scale reference models, GW Space Marines and a Rhino.


First up is the Mule Transport from the GCPS faction.  This is an open topped vehicle that could easily be used as a scout vehicle or utility/weapons carrier for a variety of factions.

Basically a pick up with an armored cab, the Mule is a utility vehicle that could fit into many armies.



The other vehicle I picked up from this line is the Drakkar APC, from the Forge Fathers faction.  The model is not as versatile as the Mule, but I can see it fitting in with some of the armies I build.

The Drakkar is a bit less general purpose, but could still fit in with many armies.


As always, I hope you find these helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment