Sunday, January 19, 2020

Kitbashing and Toybashing - works in progress

I haven't been able to do a lot of work on minis lately - but it's been for good reasons.   Most of my "miniatures-time" in the past two weeks has been spent tidying up, organizing, and packing, because I am moving later this spring, because my house offer was accepted. This means I will no longer be a renter!

Here are a few things that I have been working on, as I try to clear my hobby area:

The first is a super-basic - but "old school" Rhino kitbash, using the classic RT era Rhino model and the tread plates from the wheels from the RT era Ork Battlewagon (which were later released as part of the "Gubbinz Bag").    The model still needs to have a few more things added, and then be painted, but is basically assembled and primed.


This Rhino is a "rescue" from ebay that I pulled apart and re-assembled in my preferred "assault" style.   You can see where the prior owner's decals were not completely covered by the fresh primer.


Next up is a "toybash" of an M-113 APC  made for action figures, modified into a heavy transport vehicle, through the addition of Predator side sponsons with heavy bolters, the turret from a 1/35th scale M-41 Walker Bulldog kit (giving it a long barrelled, high velocity autocannon), and a bow mounted heavy flamer.  Even with all those weapons and their crews, this one could easily transport at least 10 power armored minis.  Again, it hasn't had all the trimmings added, and is primed, but not painted.

It does make a pretty huge target.  Probably why the Imperium withdrew this model of "super-rhino" ("Hippo"?  "Dino"?) early on in production - but a few prototypes remain (I have the parts to build another).

Today's last model is another "Toybash" - this time of an ABC Robot from the Judge Dredd action figure line that I'm pretty sure is out of production, but is still available online.   I simply added a heavy bolter and heavy flamer to this one, seeing it as a construction or mining construct that has been pressed into service - either by gangers (Necromunda) or a Genestealer Cult (40k).  The classic RTB-01 Space Marine model is there for size comparison.  While giving it a quick and dirty paintjob, I realized that I should probably go back and cut and flip the flamer tips, so the igniters are under the flame nozzles.  ;)

Big and intimidating - but that one pigeon toed foot just kept bending back, no matter how many times I straightened it out.  ;)


As always, I hope that my efforts interest and inspire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment