Monday, July 26, 2021

Education / Lesson Plan: Day One, First Lesson

Day one, first lesson: "Welcome students. My name is Mr. Baptist, but most of my students call me Mr. B. When I call on you today, and for the next week or so, please tell me your name, so I can learn it, and learn how to pronounce it."

"I only have one rule in my classroom. This is, of course, in addition to the school rules, and all the city, county, state, and federal laws. Do you guys think it is fair for me to expect you to be able to follow one rule?"
"What do you think the one rule - the most important rule - the rule that, if we all follow it, we don't need other rules - could be?"
"My one rule is this: while you are my students, you will behave like young ladies and gentlemen. That's it. That's the rule. We will have procedures for things like how to use the bathroom pass, where to turn papers in, and things like that, but this is the only actual rule I have for you. How does that sound?"
"Yes, it is important that we all agree on how a lady or gentleman behaves. I saw a movie once where one of the characters says that a lady or a gentleman always tries to make those around them feel comfortable and valued."
"What behavior word do we use at our school that fits that definition of how we should treat people?"
"That's right, 'respect' - the other words are all good behaviors, but respect is what sets a young lady or gentleman apart from just some boy or girl. We need to show respect for each other, the learning environment, the classroom, the school staff, our property, our classmates' property, our feelings, and our time. This is how we show that we respect ourselves - by being respectful of others."

No comments:

Post a Comment