Saturday, September 7, 2019

Simple Hybrid Conversions for Genestealer Cults (GSC)

Genestealer Cults have been yet another victim of my ADD - an "I'll finish this army later" project for me for decades.   I had genestealers and hybrids from the original Space Hulk expansions, assorted Imperial Guard and other early GW Rogue Trader minis, Necromunda minis, and a scattering of Chaos Cultists, and thought that a Genestealer Cult (GSC) army would be a good way to get use out of them.

These minis have basically been in a couple of boxes that they were all dumped into back in the mid-90s.   Partly this was due to moving, partly due to Genestealer Cults not being well supported by GW, and mosly because I got out of 40k for over a decade.

Last summer, as I was pulling minis out of the storage unit and building and painting them, I noticed that GW  had been doing some GSC releases (they were included as starter armies in Deathwatch Overkill, the Kill Team box, and in the 40k Tooth and Claw starter, as well as being released as a line of unit boxes), so picked up a few boxes, just to play around with building and converting these fun models.

I haven't purchased the Codex, or designed an army list, but have been having fun putting together the models.    While I have some older, metal GSC minis, the bulk of my GSC models are plastics - which I enjoy building and converting.  I have avoided the resin minis, partly due to cost, but also because I don't enjoy working with resin - which tends to be brittle and difficult to work with.

 Recently, while going through my Space Hulk minis, looking for Genestealers and Terminators, which I have been painting up recently (after owning them since 1991), I found several Genestealer Hybrid bodies.    This week's hobby project has been working on those hybrids.

Here are the six I completed and primed.   Hopefully I will be able to paint them up next week sometime soon.

The hybrid on the right has arms and an extra multi-handed weapon from the new GSC line.
The center mini in this group has a multi-handed weapon form the new GSC kits.  The one on the right has a shotgun from the 1990s version of Necromunda.





Some updates on 29 Sept, as I have started playing around with paint schemes - going with a light purple for the skin, and thinking of blue for the uniforms (or at least for some of the units).


The standard bearer in the center uses the body of a "Sisters of Faith" mini from Shieldwolf.






No comments:

Post a Comment