Sunday, September 1, 2019

The missing summer posts - experimenting with "Contrast" paints







I started some posts this summer, but had some camera/phone problems (my phone's battery was swelling as it got older, and started pushing the phone apart, so I had to replace it) and never got the posts finished or posted.

It's a long weekend, so why not play catch-up?

GW introduced a new line of paints this summer called "Contrast".   These are supposed to be both a paint and a wash, all in one.   I decided to try some out, as the idea behind them is to reduce painting time for "table ready" (as opposed to "painting competition ready") models.   Those of you who know me know that I am a slow painter, have shaky hands, and can come up with a bunch of excuses that keep me from getting painting done, and I am certainly not a competition level painter.

I started out with the new Ambull from Blackstone Fortress.  I primed her with burnt umber, and used the camo green contrast paint over it, and like the results.




The model needs a bit more work, including basing, before it's finished.  Still, it allowed me to try out the colors I was able to get in July.   My ADD forced me to move along to another project. ;)


I moved on to work with some Cold Ones - giant lizards that various troops may use as mounts.   I like the results I achieved with these guys.




Then I decided to spruce up some of  my "old school" Space Hulk Terminators, in case I get a houseguest that wants to play a few rounds.





And then, of course, I tried out some of the contrast paints on the genestealers.   The darker blue looks better in person than in these pictures, but I want to find a better paint scheme before I finish off the pile of unpainted  'stealers that has been threatening to devour my home for decades.



I was a bit disappointed at how thin the purple ended up being - I was hoping for it to be more robust.  I may have to use a different primer for the rest of them.



I also touched up a few Chaos Androids (originally from the GW/Milton Bradley crossover "Space Crusade"), thinking they will be useful to replace the cardboard tokens in "Space Marine Adventures: Labyrinth of the Necrons" (another 40k boardgame).




Changing pace....
As you can see on the front model, the contrast paints can sometimes leave a spotty finish.

Then I went to work on some of the multitudes of unpainted space marine models that live in the walk-in closet of my guest bedroom.   These started out primed white, which is not recommended for contrast paints, as I was working on matching a paint/wash combo I had used on a squad of Space Marines from the game-changing (and great) 3rd Edition 40k box set back in 1999/2000, but packed away due to the divorce, several moves, and change of career.  One problem I have had matching the painting scheme I used back then is that GW has changed their paints multiple times since then.  With the white primer, I used the darker of the gray/black contrast paints, and sometimes used two coats.

The idea behind these models was to have a gritty, "in the field" look, as well as being easy to paint.   Many 40k armies - particularly space marines - are known for bright (even gaudy) colors.   I wanted something that looked more lived in, but kept the color accents (blood red and gold/brass/bronze*).

* Depending on what metallic colors I had available at the time I painted each batch of models.

Some of the early missile launcher models.

Missile Launchers continue to be my favorite SM heavy weapon.

A variety of missile launchers.  The one at center front is the most recent, and I included it for that reason, even though I haven't painted its shoulder pad trim yet.





Some multi-meltas and a heavy bolter.




Sometimes a las-cannon is the right tool for the job.






Assault squad with jump packs.



Heroes abound in the space marines.


Some space marine "riflemen" with bolters.




This group features a couple of Mk 6 "Beakie" marines from the RTB-01 box set - the first plastic 40k minis - along with their more modern brethren.


In this case, I used the contrast paints to spice up a squad I had block painted back in the 1990s.


The contrast paints add more texture to the look of the models.









No comments:

Post a Comment